Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Pets are People With Fur


I just received an email from my former boss. It was the saddest email I have ever read, it really tugged at my heart. It was a letter from a dog, telling about his life and how he accepted all the changes in the family, ie wife and kids, but how he was left out of family life more and more. In the end they put him in a shelter and he was put to sleep because they were moving to an apartment.

I don't mean to harp, but please do not have a pet, just to have a pet. They do have feelings and dogs especially, live to please you and to be part of a "pack". Many people asked me if I was going to allow the dogs near Georgia when she was born. Of course was my answer, why wouldn't I? My dogs, Aggie and Gus, were my first babies, I was miserable on my honeymoon because they weren't with us. I still worry about them when I am work, more so than I worry about Georgia. I guess because I know she is in good hands, and my doggies are at home by themselves.

Just remember pets should be part of your family and you accommodate them as you would any member of your family.

1 comment:

cami said...

Wow-the photo of your dog by the window with Georgia is wonderful! I too hate the way pets are discarded, like shoes that got too small.

Its terrible down here-I see strays everywhere. Thats how we got Beaulah-found her next to the body of her mom on the highway. Sad stuff, but she's a happy, healthy doggy with a forever home now. We took her to the shelter (I promised I would) but when she didn't get adopted, Mark said we should go get her.

Kudos to you for appreciating what dogs give us-remember, dog is God spelled backwards!